Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nursing Home Knitters Need Your Help

UPDATE: 2013 - PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE YARN AT THIS TIME THANK YOU!

As you may or may not know, I volunteer twice a month at a Nursing Home in Santa Monica. I spend 2 hours every other Saturday hanging out with the gals. I teach them to knit or crochet, supply them with yarn, needles, crochet hooks, patters and help them finish and complete projects. Basically anything they need or ask for, I make it happen.

We are looking for any kinds of donations you can make to keep this program going. If you have yarn, needles or hooks to donate, shoot me an email at cjarabia@gmail.com and I'll tell you where you can mail them to - or if you are local, I'll come and pick them up and thank you in person.

If you don't have supplies to donate, we are also taking monetary donations. Anything you can donate. $10 buys a 1 pound ball of yarn and that can make a baby blanket or a hat and a scarf.

A lot of these women can't walk, and many of them can barely use their arms and hands but somehow they get things done. I'm constantly amazed by them, and they inspire me. I am happy to buy them yarn myself, but some of these gals are knitting faster than I can earn a pay check, so I need some help.

Here's a ChipIn where you can donate and if you look below you'll see some pics of some of these gals and the amazing work they do.

























































































































































The girls appreciate every ball of yarn I bring to them. They scarf (pun intended) it down like hungry children. It makes them happy and gives them purpose. Many of them live on disability and take such pride in being able to make gifts for their family and friends and the workers that care for them at the nursing home. Please consider making a donation. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment